Search This Blog

Sunday, March 20, 2011

Southern Sudan


From Struggle to freedom, from freedom to facing crucial challenges: Questions that might navigate dialogue amongst the youth of North, Horn of African and persons who are interested.  The year 2011 has been a time of social movements; thus far it has been a remarkable year, 1st Southern Sudan referendum, then social movements in Tunisia, Egypt and currently Libya and Bahrain. It’s powerful and moving to watch individuals putting their lives in line for freedom and democracy.  Who and what’s next?  This particular section is about Sudan and the questions I have for my friends and those who are currently thinking about or are assisting to rebuild Southern Sudan. 
Congratulations to Southern Sudanese (The Republic of Southern Sudan) around the world and most importantly to those whom I have met and have been inspired by.  I have been thinking about friends, especially those who I met during my studies and friends I grew up with in Portland, Maine.  Living in Portland Maine one meets so many youth from all over the world, Sudan, Somali, Bosnia, Vietnam, Korea, Cambodia and many more.  Growing up in Portland Maine amongst so many immigrant youth from all over the world was a privilege.  Many stories to tell, so much to overcome and a profound passion to help those left behind. I had the privilege to hear countless stories. Some of the most touching stories were the stories of Southern Sudan.  As high school students they shared their stories about war, survival and leaving their loved ones behind.  This was only a few years ago, I wonder if they knew the day of referendum would come during their life time. I remember when one of my friends shared his story with me, as a nine years old child soldier he endured so much. He watched his father being taken away by soldiers and watched his childhood friend die in front of him, so much sorrow. His story is the story of so many Southern Sudanese children whom I had the privilege to meet. According to Peterson (2000) about forty percent of the Sudanese soldiers are Nubians, black Sudanese from the South, who have to fight for the Sudan government who was fighting against the South which is their home. The war has killed over 1.5 million, more dead bodies than in Somalia as well as Bosnia combined, and is almost the double of the 1994 Rwandan genocide (Peterson, 2000). As I sit here thinking about how Sudan can learn from the mistakes of African nations, one of the questions I have is, what will happen to the Nubians soldiers? What about individuals from both South and Northern Sudan who might have established their lives in both areas? The issues surrounding the Sudan and Southern Sudan is complex, there are so many dimensions that need attention. I hope the unresolved issues within Southern Sudan between the Dinka and Nuer will be dealt with from the beginning, because if people pretend that there is no problem between the two Ethnic groups, the future of Southern Sudan will be in crisis. One of the major issues is the historical land ownership (dispute) between the Ngok Dinka and Messiri of Sudan, the district of Abyei. This issue reminds me of the border conflict between Ethiopia and Eritrea, the main difference is there is oil in Abyei. I can only imagine how many more people would have died from both Ethiopia and Eritrea if Badme had oil.  Issues of land, access to resources and citizenship have led to tragic events in Rwanda, Somalia, Ethiopia and Eritrea and more deaths in Africa, what can Sudan learn from these nations? How can Sudan and Southern Sudan create peaceful co-existence?

·         Land ownership and resource (oil)
The unresolved issue of Abyei
·         Conflict resolution/anger management: healing and reconciliation
Historical conflict within South Sudan between Dinka and Nuer ethnic group
·         Citizenship rights
South/North
Can Sudan learn from neighboring nations that deportation only leads to crisis and poverty?

 I hope the above question will navigate dialogue and lead those interested to come up with suggestions that might be useful to readers and leader:=)

No comments:

Post a Comment