Ever since I realized I can use my education and experience to make a difference, I have continued to reach high. Being an example for children/women in the U.S., and women like myself who come from developing countries. Break the cycle, the stereotypes that Ethiopian women are subjected by FGC, early marriage and famine. To be involved, inspire and be inspired by people’s spiritual and humble lives. Recently, I have been speculating about issues of migration and brain drain regarding African nations.
At the end of my undergraduate degree, I called the UN office asking how and where I can apply to work for them. A nice lady on the phone said, “My dear you at least have to have your MA degree to work for the UN” so I told myself if I want to join the UN one day, I must continue and get a higher degree. Consequently, I joined the African Studies department at Ohio University. Little did I know that my world was going to change, the African Studies department was made of students from all over African nations. Each student brought his/her own social, political, economic and cultural view and values. There I learned that “WE AFRICANS” were so difference from each other, however, most of us had something in common. We were extremely passionate about going back to our home country to make a difference. In fact, when most of us apply for the degree, our statement of proposal includes the reasons why we have chosen to study African Studies. Correct me if I am wrong, but I think most us write that our goal is to make a difference in our community or the country we have chosen to study. Nonetheless, most of us stay in the U.S., and join the brain drain club. WHY? Maybe your views can help answer the questions I have been wondering about?
As I am preparing myself for the real world, I find myself questioning about how and where I will like to be in the next five years and how I will get the job I have the passion for. A few month back I attended a Priority Africa Network meeting in the Bay Area, where many African immigrants came together to discuss their concerns. One of the major issues was: Africans in the bay area need strong network and support, because over the years educated Africans have just been settling for any job they can find. One of the participants explained it well, “there are many Africans with higher degrees in this area, but instead of working for a job that fits their qualification, they are working at any job, some are taxi drivers and others might be cleaning. Some of those who come as students end up becoming illegal immigrants.” It is not to dishonor or undermine the work of many individuals who are working in such industries, however, I bring this issue to understand, why are many educated Africans from peaceful nations choosing to stay and prefer to be illegal immigrant, work under-table rather than using their educational qualification to work within African nations?
In recent decades Africa has lost one third of its skilled professionals. Since 1990, Africa has been losing 20,000 professionals annually. Each year about 23,000 qualified academic professionals migrate to foreign countries (BBC News, 2001). There are more African-born scientists and engineers working in the United States than there are in Africa; for example there are more than 2,000 Nigerian doctors working in United States, an estimated 600 Ghanaian doctors working in the United States and more than 1,000 professionals left Zimbabwe for other countries in 1997 alone (Shinn, 2002). According to the International Organization for Migration, over 300,000 professionals reside outside Africa; and, in the case of Ethiopia, between 1980 and 1991 the country lost 75% of its skilled workforce Yau & Assefa (2007). The issue of brain drain in many African nations has greatly impeded economic and educational development.
In regards to African Students, why are most of them choosing to stay and work in the U.S.? What happens to the passion of making a difference? Is it because they feel they do not have a chance in the job market? Do they think they will not make as much money as they would if they were working at any job in the U.S.? What about those job in the area of for profit, non-for-profit, for governmental organization jobs within or for African nations? Who is getting the jobs with million dollar budgets? There are so many organizations! Do African students feel overwhelmed or do they think they would not have an opportunity to have access to such jobs? Is it because they think those jobs are by network, for network, family and friends? Do they feel that those jobs that pay well are dominated by foreigners? Do most of them chose to stay or is it because they feel restricted? Or they just merely don’t want to go back?
There is also a gender aspect of this issue, but that question is for another day:-). Each of you might have different experience or perspective, what your viewpoint? I hope to hear from you all:-).
My dear Selam, you make a very important point. I believe that there are many factors that led to the current brain drain. Yes, economic freedom is one of them. But the one that disturbs me is the perception that "all I need is how to take care of me" and "I want to be better than my brother" is what life is all about. Until our brother's problem becomes ours, and we honestly feel the pain other's feel, it is going to be hard for some to go back home with what they have learned in the Diaspora.
ReplyDeleteAnother concern is the lack of support from the governments at home to help those who want to return to help. I think many countries are doing better is welcoming the return of their sons and daughters who want to help...but I think it will take some time.
We need to start somewhere though...and that is why I have dedicated the rest of my life to helping developing countries deal with environmental and health issues. I know it is going to be a long hard road, but I am ready. I hope to see, in my lifetime, a day when Africa can be on the 'giving' end of the stick and not the 'receiving' end.
I believe we can.
Visit www.taenvironmental.com.
This comment has been removed by the author.
ReplyDeleteWith its double meaning (Ur name and hello in one of your African language).You put original and living questions on the table. This question can have different answers in different countries! However, I have a firm beief that poverty with its culture distorted how African`s understand ourself and our countries frica! We imitate State and Europe in our home country today and if we get the chance to be there (used to dream to be) why we come back, we have struggle to look what we dreamed!
ReplyDelete